Are there elements that should pretty much always be included in every blog post? Yep. But it’s rare to find them all together in one, awesome post.
You don’t have to do all of these things every single time, but my own mental checklist that I run through as I’m writing, and before I hit “Publish” looks like this:
- Write a compelling title. Run it through CoSchedule’s headline analyzer?
- Use the first paragraph to motivate the reader to keep reading.
- Research some keywords to find out if anyone is actually searching for what I’m writing about.
- Include those keywords an appropriate number of times, especially in titles and headings.
- Include some bullet points.
- Include at least one image that looks good. Find them at Pexels.
- Assign a featured image and make sure it pops up in social posts. Debug if necessary.
- Include an average of two internal links to other posts within your blog.
- Include an average of two links to other relevant resources.
- Among those links, make one or two affiliate links.
- Pick an appropriate category or two.
- Add some relevant tags for cross-referencing purposes later on.
- Check the spelling.
- Evaluate the emotional impact of the post.
- Answer a question or solve a problem with the post.
- Be personal – use conversational language.
- Call the reader to act on what they’re reading in some small way.
- Post it to social media profiles, pages, groups, etc.
- Invite readers to connect and subscribe (not always within the post, but in the site design).
- Email your mailing list inviting them to check it out.
- Go back and re-evaluate the title one more time. After writing, is it still the best it can be?
As I said, this isn’t exhaustive. It’s just the list I run through as I write a post.
Want to get even better at blogging? Here’s a free mini-course…
Make a Bigger Difference!
When you grow as a leader, you expand your influence, earn more income, and make a bigger difference in your world!
I believe that when you improve dramatically as a leader, you can rapidly expand your influence, increase your earning potential, and lead your organization or your business to new levels of growth and greatness!
When you become a Pro Member of The Digital Leadership Lab, you get:
- A private invite to at least two live group coaching sessions each month.
- On demand access to a growing library of courses and coaching sessions.
- Access to the Digital Leadership closed Facebook group.
- Access to my Digital Leader’s vault of downloadable files.
I’m absolutely determined to help you become the best version of yourself that you can be.
Ready to take action and start taking your leadership to the next level?