My long distance pastor, Rick Warren, often says, “You’re most like God when you’re giving.” And I agree with him, primarily because God has always been a giver.
Just as God is love, just as God is all-knowing and ever-present, God is also generous. It’s one of his attributes that often gets overlooked.
But think about it…
- God gave the breath of life to mankind.
- He also gave the Garden to the first couple.
- God created this beautiful planet to sustain life.
- He gave the prophets to reveal the future.
- He gave us the scriptures to tell us his will.
- He gives his protection, his provision, and his presence.
- God gave his one and only Son.
God. Is. A. Giver!
Peter wrote about God’s generosity toward his children in our current era,
Everything we could ever need for life and complete devotion to God has already been deposited in us by his divine power. For all this was lavished upon us through the rich experience of knowing him who has called us by name and invited us to come to him through a glorious manifestation of his goodness.
2 Peter 1:3 TPT
Everything we could ever need… has been deposited… all this was lavished upon us… through a glorious manifestation of his goodness!
If you want to become generous (which is the pathway to joy), you should definitely start by considering rather deeply the generosity of your Creator. And remember, he created you to reflect his image.
Start in this simple way – list out the gifts you’ve received from God in your life and praise him for each one.