A Bible commentary is simply a book written by a scholar who has done the hard work of dissecting a portion of the Bible, or sometimes the entire Bible, to dig into its original meaning and, in some cases, to point toward an accurate and relevant application for today. Some commentaries are highly technical with lots of references to the original languages while others are more simple and easy-to-read.
If I were starting my own Bible reference library and wanted to get some basic commentaries, I’d start with these five, all available at a great price…
By John MacArthur
A crowning achievement from one of America’s leading Bible teachers! Bringing the same expositional skill and down-to-earth style to this one-volume commentary as he has to his best-selling multivolume New Testament set, John MacArthur offers a non-technical passage-by-passage examination of the whole Bible.
- A general introduction to each major division of the Bible
- A short introduction covering author, date, time, and setting for each book of the Bible
- Each introduction also includes discussion of God’s character, how Christ is seen, key doctrines, key words, key people, and key Scripture passages that represent the “theme core” of each book of the Bible
- A harmony of the historical books of 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, and 1 and 2 Chronicles
- A harmony of the Gospels
- Articles providing an overview of theology, the ministry of Jesus, the ministry of the apostles, and the progress of revelation
- Cross-references to The MacArthur Bible Handbook as an alternate source for more in-depth treatment
By Warren Wiersbe
Countless pastors, teachers, and students have pored over the best-selling Be series—and now these insightful studies are available in one complete set for a spectacular price! From Genesis to Revelation, Wiersbe unpacks the meaning and message of Scripture with a skilled exposition that remains ever-mindful of practical application. Approx. 3000 pages total, six hardcovers from Cook.
Edited by John F. Walvoord and Roy B. Zuck
The Bible Knowledge Commentary features insightful exposition and commentary on the entire Bible from members of the distinguished Dallas Theological Seminary faculty. For commentary from the historical-grammatical and premillennial perspectives, it’s hard to beat this commentary, and the commitment to scriptural inerrancy is unmatched. Thoroughly conservative and Evangelical, this commentary showcases what Dallas Theological Seminary has become world famous for, and offers all students of the Bible an insightful and applicable commentary.
Overview of the Bible Knowledge Commentary:
- Theologically conservative (Evangelical)
- Based on the New International Version (NIV)
- Mainly a section-by-section commentary, with a good amount of verse-by-verse commentary as well
- Non-technical (all original languages are transliterated)
- Designed for all Christian students and learners
- Introduction, outline, commentary and bibliography for each book of the Bible
- Explanations of problem passages, alleged discrepancies, customs, geographical locations, and key Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic words
- Numerous maps, charts and diagrams for easy reference
- A presentation of each book’s argument, and how that book’s purpose unfolds and develops
- Numerous cross-references to parallel topics and passages
Edited by R. Kent Hughes
Critically acclaimed for its commitment to biblical authority and accessibility, the Preaching the Word series has helped pastors and teachers better communicate and apply the message of God’s Word. Now all 18 volumes are available in one set, making this commentary a primary resource for anybody seeking a reliable interpretation of the New Testament. Hardcovers, from Crossway.
By J. Vernon McGee
A complete reference edition of the 60-volume Thru the Bible commentary series, this five-volume set is an excellent choice if you need a complete Bible commentary in durable hardcover bindings. It includes Dr. McGee’s insightful study of each book of the Bible with in-depth, paragraph-by-paragraph discussions of key verses and passages.
From Moody Publishers
The Moody Bible Commentary brings together 29 Moody Bible Institute faculty to produce a one-volume commentary on the whole Bible. Each book is introduced with a description of its author, date, purpose, and themes, and is outlined to show its overall structure. Drawing on the best evangelical scholarship, the authors provide commentary on sections and passages, communicating the meaning of the text. Scripture commented on is shown in bold print for easy reference, and maps and charts provide visual aids for learning. Additional study helps include bibliographies for further study and a subject and Scripture index.
General editors Michael Rydelnik and Michael Vanlaningham have led a team of contributors whose academic training, practical church experience, and teaching competency make this commentary excellent for anyone who needs help understanding the Scriptures. This comprehensive and reliable reference work should be the first place Sunday school teachers, Bible study leaders, missionaries, and pastors turn to for biblical insight. The Moody Bible Commentary will help you better understand and apply God’s written revelation to all of life!
Find more of the best Christian books here. What is your favorite Bible commentary? Share it in the comments below!
Make a Bigger Difference!
When you grow as a leader, you expand your influence, earn more income, and make a bigger difference in your world!
I believe that when you improve dramatically as a leader, you can rapidly expand your influence, increase your earning potential, and lead your organization or your business to new levels of growth and greatness!
When you become a Pro Member of The Digital Leadership Lab, you get:
- A private invite to at least two live group coaching sessions each month.
- On demand access to a growing library of courses and coaching sessions.
- Access to the Digital Leadership closed Facebook group.
- Access to my Digital Leader’s vault of downloadable files.
I’m absolutely determined to help you become the best version of yourself that you can be.
Ready to take action and start taking your leadership to the next level?