These links to fresh books in the marketplace are for awareness, not official endorsement.
Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ
By Timothy Keller
Tim Keller guides readers through an illuminating journey into the surprising background of the Nativity story—a story that celebrates the advent of Jesus Christ, who came to save mankind and restore our humanity to how it was meant to be. This profoundly moving and intellectually provocative book unpacks the message of hope, redemption, and salvation hidden in the biblical account of Jesus’ birth so that readers may experience the redeeming power of God’s grace in a meaningful and deeper way.
How’s Your Soul? Why Everything That Matters Starts with the Inside You
By Judah Smith
You try to keep your body and mind healthy, but is it well with your soul? Exploring the facets and needs of the inner person, Smith shows how to cultivate the deepest parts of yourself so that you can experience the stability, peace, hope, and love God promises when we trust and rest in him. 224 pages, softcover from Nelson.
I Am Going
By Daniel L. Akin & Bruce Riley Ashford
Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection changed history. But how should this influence our lives? Showing how to put faith into action, Akin and Ashford challenge you to proclaim the gospel in your neighborhood and around the world. Discover how to obediently respond to God’s call, use your job as a vehicle for mission, and more. 80 pages, hardcover from B&H.
Driven by Eternity: Make Your Life Count Today and Forever
By John Bevere
How would you live if you discovered that the next 24 hours would determine your future? Would you intentionally direct your actions or let the chips fall where they may? In this 6-session study, Bevere blends allegory with Scripture to show how the choices we make today have an eternal impact. Includes discussion questions.
The Broken Way
By Ann Voskamp
Sometimes, living with Christ in a messed-up world feels less like victory and more like walking uphill. How do we walk in a way that both glorifies Jesus and bears witness to our weakness?
From the best-selling author of One Thousand Gifts comes an impassioned message: We are desperately loved by Jesus just as we are, and his love compels us to be broken open for others! You’ll be deeply encouraged by Voskamp’s thoughts on how God takes flawed and imperfect sinners, redeems us, and makes us useful in his kingdom.
- How the World’s Top Relationship Builder Connects with People, by Paul Sohn
- Use Your Weaknesses, by Joseph LaLonde
- Politics, Facebook, and Why You Shouldn’t Give Up on Either, by Thomas Christianson
- 20 Ways to Kill Your Relationship, by Kevin Thompson
- Carey Nieuwhof on Maintaining Your Mission While Changing Your Method, via Unseminary with Rich Birch
- Why Your Church Website Needs Better SEO (And 8 Ways to Improve It), by Steve Fogg
- Four Warning Signs You Won’t Last In Ministry, by Kevin Campbell
- Ten Reasons Why Theology Matters, by W. Travis McMaken
- 3 Ways to Better Align Your Leadership Team, by Eric Geiger
- Grace In the Fire: How Pastors Navigate Through the Tough Times, by Ronnie Floyd
- 5 Elements for Strength and Growth, by Josh Howerton
- The Weekend Is the Thing, by Isaiah Franco
And additionally, here are ALL of the posts we published on Pastors.com this week:
- Evangelism In a Digital, Social Age, by Rick Warren
- Why You Must Discover Your Senior Pastor Archetype, by Brian Jones
- 7 Steps That Will Help Leaders Reach More People On Social Media, by Steve Fogg
- Preaching and the Power of Imagination, by Greg Atkinson
- One Simple Step – Using Social Media as a Small Group Ministry Leader, by Tracey Ware
- Book Review: Introducing Christian Ethics – A Short Guide to Making Moral Choices, Reviewed by Harry Monroe
- Your Social Media Profile Is More Important Than You Think, by Phil Cooke
Today, it’s a shameless plug for an ebook I just released this week!
Churches that ignore the cultural shifts happening around them and expect the next generation to accept a spoon-fed, bullet-point version of the gospel have severely underestimated the seismic shift new media has brought about. We either start listening to the conversation around us and bringing the gospel to it in a human voice, or we fail to fulfill the missional mandate of Jesus.
In this FREE guide, I share some pointers and best practices for local churches who want to improve the way they’re reaching out with social media.