Can’t view it? See It On Youtube.
I’m not sure that the creators of this commercial have the actual answer to why men don’t ask for directions. What I do know is that I often don’t ask for directions for reasons of my own…
- I just ought to know.
- I do know… I just can’t remember… yet.
- Who could possibly know, if I don’t?
- If I’ve started in the wrong direction, I don’t want to know.
- I’m just enjoying the journey.
- There’s always another route, and I’m finding it!
- Trust me, this is a shortcut.
- I’m afraid to show weakness.
- Stopping for directions will take too long and if we’re lost, we can’t waste time.
- Asking for directions can get you maced, mugged, or made fun of.
Some of those excuses are illogical, and others irrational, but all of them have gone through the minds of men in panic.
I remember an episode of Home Improvement in which Wilson, the wise neighbor, explains to Tim that he is better with directions than his wife because men tend to have larger amounts of iron stored in their nasal cavities, which results in a stronger connection with the magnetic poles. Tim recounted this to Jill later in his own defense, proclaiming, “Look, I just have more iron boogers than you!”
When we’re just trying to get back to the main highway on vacation, this is not such a crucial issue. But when men hit real crises in their lives, these tendencies remain. So let me just give myself some advice, man-to-myself, and you can listen in…
- You need direction.
- God created you and He created the course you are running.
- God put you in the path of other, often wiser men.
- Speak up. Reach out. Dump the pride and admit your need for a Counselor sometimes.
P.S. – If you liked it, share it!