As we prepare for the planting of Grace Hills, we’re praying for God to bring together an entire team of people who feel called together for the purpose of seeing a new church born. A few will be seasoned believers with various gifts and abilities to contribute to this new community. As we hear from people who are interested in being a part of things, we’re asking them to pray about whether God has called them, shaped them, and prepared them for this task.
Today, I discovered a great article by Scott Thomas (Director of Acts 29 Network) in which he lists 20 characteristics of a church planter and begins with these 20 questions as a kind of self-assessment. They target the primary planting Pastor who will be preaching, but at least 17 or 18 are applicable to the rest of the team as well.
1. Am I a Christian? (John 3:16)
2. Am I passionately in love with Jesus and is He the Lord of every area of my life? (Personal spiritual dynamics is the second most important area)
3. Do I believe His word and does it affect my life deeply?
4. Am I Spirit-filled, Spirit-directed, Spirit-led and Spirit-controlled? (Acts 1:8)
5. Am I qualified as an Elder? (1 Timothy, Titus)
6. Do I love the local church as the expression of a gospel community on mission? (Matthew 28:18-20)
7. Am I a missionary to the city? Am I sent for the advancement of the gospel in the city (John 20:21)?
8. Do I have a clear vision for this new work? (Nehemiah 1:3, 4; 2:11-18)
9. Am I willing to pour myself out in obedience to the vision? (Phil. 2; Romans 6)
10. Am I healthy? Physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually, relationally, maritally
11. Am I the kind of leader many people will follow? Have I served as a church leader successfully? (1 Tim. 5:22; 3:6)
12. Can I preach effectively?
13. Can I guard the doctrinal door with Biblical clarity and tenacious confidence?
14. Can I architect a new work with entrepreneurial skill?
15. Am I called to plant a church at this time and in this place? (Acts 17:26; 1 Peter 5:2)
16. Have my church leaders commended me for this calling? (Acts 11:22-26; 13:1-4; 16:1-2)
17. Am I a hard worker? Am I persevering? (2 Thes. 3:10; 1 Tim. 5:17-18; 2 Tim. 2:3-4; 2:5; 2:6)
18. Am I adaptable to new people, places and concepts?
19. Can I raise the funds needed for my family’s needs? (1 Tim. 5:8)
20. Am I humble enough to learn from others—particularly from those who have gone ahead of me in different areas?
Scott also offers a lengthy expansion of each question with some great conclusions and applications.
INTO DESIGN? CRAFTS, FONTS, PHOTOS, THEMES, ETC.
20% OFF The April Bundle at TheHungryJPEG.com