Are you a child of God? Then He has gifted you! There are no superhero saints who leap tall buildings in single bounds. Instead, there are believers who become super servants because they value the gifts God has given them. The Bible says,
It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.
– 1 Corinthians 12:11 (NLT)
Spiritual gifts are a subject that the church has ignored at times and sensationalized at others. For some reason, they’ve even become a source of unnecessary controversy. Here are the facts, as I interpret them from the New Testament…
- Every believer has been gifted for ministry by the Holy Spirit.
- A spiritual gift is not a talent that comes naturally but an ability that comes supernaturally.
- We don’t choose our gift – our sovereign God does.
- Our gifts are intended for the benefit of the whole body of Christ.
- His gifts bring unity rather than division and peace rather than confusion.
How do you discover your spiritual gifts? There are tests and surveys, but most are flawed. The best way is to serve and get involved. Your giftedness will become apparent to you and others if you’re willing to love people with your gifts.
Don’t ignore your gifts, and don’t sensationalize your gifts. Instead, serve others and allow your giftedness to become clear as you do. And remember, God gives the very best gifts!
photo credit: minxlj