This is my 401st blog post at brandonacox.com. I’ve been at it since the middle of 2005 when I didn’t have a clue how to really blog. (Amazing how the word “blog” has become both a verb and a noun.) I’ve learned a lot about the art of blogging over the last three and a half years and wanted to impart some knowledge to fellow church leaders who may also be interested in blogging. Just some simple tips, nothing too technologically advanced…
- Write often. Daily if possible, but you’re bound to go through dry spells.
- Write well. Words are our tools, so use them wisely.
- Be open and honest about your life, but reserve some privacy too, especially for your family.
- Comment on issues, but don’t take up every issue – some hills aren’t worth dying on.
- Dialog and discuss. As Paul put it, open, allege, reason. A blog isn’t about shouting through a megaphone, it’s about discussing issues with a community.
- Accept comments that are respectfully written, even when they disagree.
- Write good, simple titles – search engines will love you for it.
- Link out often – the web is a… web. Point people in the right direction.
- Don’t do it for the money. I don’t try to make money here other than plugging some books through Amazon, which earns me about 0.00006% of my annual income.
- Network. Read other blogs. Tweet.
- Speak to your people. My primary audience is my own church family, but I often address the world at large too.
- Respect privacy. I sometimes pass along prayer requests, but only when they are public knowledge.
- Be ethical. Don’t steal content or post photos without giving credit.
- Use WordPress. (I’m biased.)
- Have fun. Don’t turn it into another duty.
- Change the world. Simple enough, right?
Feel free to reach out to me for advice on blogging, blog design, etc. It’s a hobby that borders on obsession for me, but it’s also opened some amazing doors to converse with all kinds of people about crucial life issues. Thanks for reading.
By the way, I thought I’d throw in the best ways to support this blog…
Blogging and social media have literally changed the direction of my life multiple times. I’m passionate about helping you expand your online influence and build a blog that reaches readers and even earns an income. Interested? Click to join in!